Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chesapeake Blue by Nora Roberts

I really wanted to like this book. Really, really wanted to.

I was hoping I'd feel pretty strongly about this book because Nora is so prolific, and I'm hoping that one day I, too, might be so prolific. I wanted to relate to the book and feel that quantity did not trump quality, and I was really hoping that as my first Nora Roberts book I would come away feeling some sort of warmth or understanding. However, it was not to be.

Maybe it's the book. Maybe it's me. Regardless, this is book four of a trilogy. Seth, the successful artist, returns home to the Quinn family, and meets a rich florist, Dru. Together they face down family issues to ... get married and live happily ever after? The book did not actually have the word ROMANCE written on it anywhere, so I was wondering if this was a bit of a literary kind of book or a romance kind of book, and it was a wondering that continued for the entire novel. Actually, I'm still not sure.

The story sort of wended around, dithered for a while, talked to the ghosts for a bit, and finally got down to some hot and heavy action. Thinking more on this, I found the tension to be completely lacking. I also found the style of writing to be very stop/start, like I was reading some one's shorthand notes. It was a lot like how I remember Barbara Cartland's style to be; lots of short declarative sentences with very little flow or rhythm. I found it hard to lose myself into the story as nothing tugged me along. Also, (and this may be a genre thing) I don't understand why the book is called Chesapeake Blue.

Despite my confusion, it's a popular book. Printed in 2002, it's been reprinted in 2003, 2005 (twice) and 2007 (twice) as far as this copy is concerned. It had things i find eternally fascinating - family, conscious families, communities and intentional community building... but this book just missed it's mark with me. I'll still read more Nora Roberts as I want to explore how she manages her creativity and sales, but I doubt I will remember having read this book by tomorrow.

Sarah P

No comments:

Post a Comment